A few items of interest that passed my screen recently:
- John Banville wins the Mann Booker Prize for The Sea (evidently slated for US release in March). If you believe The Guardian, it won by one vote over Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go.
- There seems to be much gossip over a reported rift over awarding this year’s Nobel Prize for Literature.
- The NYT notes the number of lawyers who are blogging. (Registration required…or BugMeNot).
- Sam Harris, who wrote The End of Faith, bluntly says, There Is No God (And You Know It), which as Street Prophets notes, is always good for producing tons of comments.
- Rockcritics Daily is having a “battle” between Rolling Stone‘s 500 greatest songs and a similar list compiled by Blender. What I recall is when reading the Blender list when the magazine arrived is that it was limited to songs released since 1980, again reminding me just how friggin’ old I’m getting.
Life is what happens to you
While you’re busy making other plans
“Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy),” John Lennon, Double Fantasy