- I’m quoted in the National Book Critics Circle’s roundup of members’ thoughts on the smartest works on conjugal love . I picked Joan Didion’s The Year of Magical Thinking , her memoir of the year following the death of her husband.
Blog Headline of the Week
Best Blog Line(s) of the Week
- “Whining crept into the American memoir in the mid-1990s. …. Then talk shows were born and shame went out to the window .”
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Amazon is launching a new publishing imprint  dedicated to translations of foreign language books. The first is Tierno Monénembo’s The King of Kahel , slated for release in November.
- An overview of international SF  and fantasy in 2009. (BoingBoing )
- The 20 most harmful (healthwise) drinks  in America. (GOOD )
- Poverty’s effect on student achievement .
- Cory gives us a glimpse of how Karl Mundt would “fit right into today’s media climate … on Fox News.”
- Although evidently a bit old, this is the first time I’ve seen this evidence of Pat Metheny’s taste in addition to talent. His views on Kenny G  include “lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing.” (kottke.org )
Sometimes you felt the trouble
Sometimes you felt down
Let this music relax your mind
The Rolling Stones, “I Just Want to See His Face,” Exile on Main Street