Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Orwell in America (“Edward Snowden recognized two great Orwellian truths; first that liberty depends on millions of private lives kept private. …. Second, Snowden recognized that the War on Terror is no war and the quicker we drop the impossible abstraction of it all the better.”)
Legal Puzzler of the Week
- Would it be employment discrimination to not hire this guy?
Most Honest Person of the Week
- When police stopped a California man driving a stolen truck, he told them he stole it because he had to get to court for an unrelated stolen vehicle case
- Ranking today’s biggest literary snobs
- Christmas can be a time of despair for book-lovers
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation has posted its reading list of 2013 books
- Somehow I missed this last month but plans are underway to build a Museum of Science Fiction in D.C.
- The crossword puzzle is 100 years old today
- Belief in god, heaven and miracles is dropping in the U.S. with relative clear distinctions for age and education
- Is Christmas also the time to wish happy birthday to Satan?
We’re gonna press on, and we’re gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he’s gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.
Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase), Christmas Vacation