- Another abbreviated edition as return travel and trying to catch up after being gone led to a couple days of a just too full RSS reader.
- Thursday is Library Snapshot Day. My local library is asking users to help record “a day in the life” of the main library and its branches.
- Fifteen scathing book reviews. The winner may well be the review of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: “This is easily one of the worst books I’ve ever read. And bear in mind that I’ve read John Grisham.”
- The blog for the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library has kicked off a series of posts based on reading Vonnegut’s novels in order of release.
- The American Literary Translators Association presented its National Translation Award to Alex Zucker for his translation of Petra H?lová’s All This Belongs to Me. The book chronicles the lives of three generations of women in a Mongolian family.
- Time for some space pron: the 10 strangest (real) things in space. (via)
- A look inside “The Black Eagle,” a maximum security penal colony in Russia that contains largely convicted murderers. (via)
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book