- In addition to the five book reviews posted here over the last 10 days or so, I’ve got a review of The Boomer’s Guide to Story over at Cinema Sentries.
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Bearing the Cost of War (“Since 9/11, no national leaders have proposed that the country actually pay for the current wars. In fact, the theme from the outset has been to reduce taxes — a response without a wartime precedent in American history.”) (via)
- Goodbye Religion? How Godlessness Is Increasing With Each New Generation (“What all this means is that the rise of atheism as a political force is an effect, rather than a cause, of the churches’ hard right turn towards fundamentalism.”)
- My favorite bookstore, Green Apple Books, makes a compelling argument why it should be exempt from California’s sales tax.
- This year’s Banned Books Week will feature a Virtual Read-Out.
- I’ve read five of the 24 books in Obama’s Book Club.
- I am actually somewhat proud of the fact I’ve read books by only three of the 13 highest paid authors in the world in the last year (and the three include J.K. Rowling). (via)
- I never knew there actually were braille editions of Playboy.
- Evangelicals question the existence of Adam and Eve
- Uh, oh. Aliens might also believe in a preemptive strike doctrine. (via)
I think I thought I saw you try
R.E.M., “Losing My Religion,” Out of Time