Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- The Bible: So Misunderstood It’s a Sin (“The Bible is not the book many American fundamentalists and political opportunists think it is, or more precisely, what they want it to be. Their lack of knowledge about the Bible is well established.”)
- The Folly of Mars (“A half-century after the conclusion of the Apollo mission, we have entered a new age of space fantasy—one with Mars as its ruling hallucination.”)
- Christmas Isn’t Just For Extroverts (“Allow your loved introvert to sit alone and quiet sometimes, give them the gift of leaving the gathering early, and know that we are relating to you in significant ways even when we are reading a book. In fact, especially when we are reading a book.”)
- The giants of rock are leaving the stage: their music never will (“Be in no doubt: as they go, these people take an entire culture with them[.]”)
- Are you as well read as Lisa Simpson?
- Who is Nobel Laureate Patrick Modiano?
- Bookish Lists: 7 things to miss about the traditional library; the ultimate best books list of 2014 (surprisingly, I read 7 of the top 9); 75 notable translations of 2014; 31 New Year’s resolutions for book nerds
- Factors behind the rise of American secularism
- Incorrect stories fuel the “war on Christmas“
- Why Christmas is on December 25
What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness.
George Saunders, May 11, 2013