- Today is National Readathon Day. You know what to do.
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- The Hunting of Billie Holiday (“[Chief drug enforcer Harry] Anslinger took jazz as yet more proof that marijuana drives people insane.”)
- Why Don’t More People Kill Themselves (“What surprises me is that more people don’t choose to avoid the final unpleasantness of pain, incapacity, and indignity.”)
Blog Headline of the Week
- Melville House adopts its own list of topics to be avoided in its books
- Deciding what books to read when you’ve only got so much time left
- Yet another best-selling partially fictionalized memoir
- The role of real science in SF
- Bookish Lists: 50 books that will make you more interesting; NBCC book awards finalists; the century’s greatest novels (already???)
- Western society has a severe case of “stuffocation“
- Twelve of the worst religious concepts
- Science, meet journalism
- “Winning” the internet addiction quiz
We are always the same age inside.