Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Torturer’s Apprentice (“… the [Bush] administration’s threshold for when an act of torture begins was the point at which the Inquisition stipulated that it must stop.”)
- 10 Reasons The U.S. Is No Longer The Land Of The Free (“Since 9/11, we have created the very government the framers feared: a government with sweeping and largely unchecked powers resting on the hope that they will be used wisely.”)
Blog Headline of the Week
Blog Line of the Week
- Now Elaine Benes learned War and Peace wasn’t originally called War, What Is It Good For?, the truth is The Great Gatsby might have been called The High-Bouncing Lover.
- A case against reading the classics
- Revisiting The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
- The Man Who Bought North Dakota (via)
- What? There really isn’t a huge triangular UFO headed to Earth???? (via)
Bot Comment of the Week
- “This magnificent phrase is necessary just by the way” (entirety of January 14 comment to my post on my favorite books of 2011)
Part of me suspects that I’m a loser and the other part of me thinks I’m God Almighty.
John Lennon, Playboy interview, September 1980