- The South Dakota Festival of Books begins Thursday evening and runs through the weekend. Although there is no fee to attend most sessions, you need to register. You can register online through Monday and at the event. You can also buy tickets for the workshops and special events through Wednesday. A complete schedule of events is available online.
- A Rally to Restore Sanity is about the only thing that could draw me to Washington, D.C., anymore.
Blog Headlines of the Week
- Halo Glitch Forces Some Xboxers To Play With Themselves
- Pornographic Pictures Of The Virgin Mary Are Nearly Always Inappropriate
The “You Think???” Headline of the Week
Worthwhile Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- A Crisis of Vacuum (“The exact nature of my crisis is hard to pin down. I believe, however, that it fits within the theme of: Is that all there is?”)
- America’s Addiction to Belief (“A society of cold intellectuals is not what we need; what’s needed is a culture that places emphasis on reasoned debate.”) (via)
- In “City of Airheads,” LA Weekly examines the state of the Los Angeles public library system. (via)
- At least I finished reading Freedom before The Big O “declared it a tour de force.” My view? Probably worth reading but I wouldn’t place it in the American 21st Century literary canon quite yet. Also, mucho kudos to Moby Lives for calling the O’s pick last Monday, even though many in the major media ignore that fact.
- New York magazine provides a lengthy profile of Jon Stewart
- I love it when The Big Picture does space porn.
- Bring back The Twilight Zone right now!
I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard and I realize it’s me.
Dave Allen, quoted in The Independent