Dude, You Killed a Dell!
- True, unfortunately. Tuesday morning I spilled a beverage on my less than two month old work laptop, frying both the motherboard and the hard drive. Fortunately, our IT guy had not yet blown away my old one so I didn’t have to start from scratch. The carcass is on its way to Dell under the always valuable “idiot warranty.”
Blog Headline of the Week
Worthwhile Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Spreading illiteracy (“The Internet may well be the instrument that makes stupidity a fashion of the age.”)
- So what’s Sam Sattler’s take on word “Snooki” is going to write a book? I Would Rather Flush a Twenty Down the Toilet. Although I’ve never seen the TV show, I must admit that my initial reaction was, “I wonder if she’s going to read one first?”
- The 2011 Nobel Laureate for Literature has been picked — but we won’t know the name until Tuesday. In the interim, The Literary Saloon surveys the speculation.
- What Are Books Good For? (via)
- Lord Jesus Christ III (yes, the third) has been banned from the Belchertown, Mass., (yes, Belchertown) public library. (The town is only about 10 miles from where my youngest daughter goes to college.)
- The 2010 Ig Nobel Awards have been announced. My favorite? The Peace Prize went to a British university psychologist who confirmed that swearing relieves pain. Hell, I could have told you that.
- A lottery simulator, sure to depress you on your chances of retiring on your winnings. (via)
- Bob S. points out that those who scored highest on a Pew Research Center survey on religious beliefs were atheists and agnostics. As the survey might suggest, I scored 100 percent on the sample quiz.
- Major space porn.
If one has not read the newspapers for some months and then reads them all together, one sees … how much time is wasted with this kind of literature.