Blog Headline of the Week
Worthwhile Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Mourning a husband who has not yet passed (“…when the brain dies and leaves the body intact, there is no end.”) (via)
- The Matter of Memories: The Book as an Object of Desire (“I, too, am part of these particularly curious communities of people who fetishize books- not ideas, not language itself, but the actual physical books.”)
- Library book vandalism resulting from woman being banned from library leads to a month jail sentence. (via)
- One of the authors castigated in the memoirs review I liked so much from last week’s NYTBR responds, calling it “a gross mischaracterization of my work and motivations.”
- The Guardian looks back on the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything (“42”).
- Award countdowns: Three Percent looks at each of the books on the longlist for the Best Translated Book Award while the National Book Critics Circle blog does the same for its awards finalists.
- Seems appropriate. Britney Spears’ biography is going to be a comic book.
- An interesting “literature” exchange: An atheist group at the University of Texas at San Antonio “is again offering to trade porn for bibles.”
I feel like a quote out of context
“Best Imitation of Myself,” Ben Folds Five