- The South Dakota Festival of Books is next week in Deadwood.
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- I Committed Murder (“And even cases of undisputed guilt can continue to haunt executioners to the end of their days.”)
- A brief history of the brain (“Not only did the growth in the size of our brains cease around 200,000 years ago, in the past 10,000 to 15,000 years the average size of the human brain compared with our body has shrunk by 3 or 4 per cent.”)
- Ten novels that take place in a single day
- Translations of fiction are up 14 percent this year after being down nine percent last year.
- A flowchart for reading in NPR’s list of top 100 sf and fantasy books.
- A Nevada computer programmer has written a simulation of one million monkeys typing away on one million typewriters to see if they will can actually write a Shakespeare play. (via)
- Goddammit!! I missed International Blasphemy Day.
- The 2011 Ig Nobel Awards have been announced.
- Obama: A Disaster for Civil Liberties
- You can’t imagine how painful it is to read that Obama and Congress have made the Nixon era “the good old days” for government.
- Is painter Bob Dylan a photography plagiarist?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff’rent
When I paint my masterpiece
Bob Dylan, “When I Paint My Masterpiece,” Bob Dylan’s Greatest Hits, Vol. 2