Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Why you don’t really have free will (“Our brains are simply meat computers that, like real computers, are programmed by our genes and experiences to convert an array of inputs into a predetermined output.”) (via)
- The death of the celebrity memoir (“If we really wanted these annoying figures to go away, the solution is pretty simple: Stop paying attention to them.”)
Best Blog Headlines of the Week
- White House Denies CIA Teleported Obama to Mars (via)
- James Franco writing a novel about favorite subject James Franco
Best Blog Post of the Week
- Mary Doria Russell regrets any damage her pro-lavender statement may have caused.
- On Not Reading — and this happens to me a lot.
- Why is the list of the most downloaded e-books from libraries so different from the bestselling e-books lists? (via)
- A UK survey suggests one of every 40 adults was given an ereader for Christmas, 92% of which were Kindles.
- Dreams of Space – Non-fiction children’s books about space flight from 1945-1975 (via).
- Facebook vs. Real Book (via)
- Search when words and phrases showed up in U.S. Supreme Court cases.
- 2011 psychic prediction fails. I’m sure the list psychic prediction hits is minuscule in comparison. (via)
What makes the earth feel like Hell is our expectation that it ought to feel like Heaven.
Chuck Palahniux, Damned