- The State Historical Society has made the first 32 years of South Dakota History available online at no charge.
Blog Lines of the Week
- “I don’t really view the world in ‘glass half full’ or ‘glass half empty’ dichotomies. In my world the glass is always cracked and leaking.“
- How fiction breaks down social barriers
- Are my bookcases obsolete?
- The top 10 most difficult books
- NPR tallied more than 75,000 votes in coming up with the 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels. Perhaps not surprisingly, there’s a lot of good stuff on the list.
- According to a recent poll, 16% of Americans are ashamed to read President Obama’s memoir in public but only 5 percent are embarrassed to read the 50 Shades series in public.
- The philosophical roots of SF
- Once again James Patterson leads the list of the world’s top-earning authors. I’ve never read one of his books.
- The top 100 best selling books of all time (in the U.K.)
- What is the real terrorist threat in America?
- Does Curiosity prompt your curiosity about what time it is on Mars? (via)
- Look out Martians and any other E.T.s, we have space lawyers. (via)
It might look like I’m standing motionless, but I’m actively waiting for our problems to go away.
Scott Adams, Dilbert, Nov. 6, 1997