- Happy birthday to my wife!
- Today is also Free Comic Book Day
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Preparing for War in Indianapolis: Inside the NRA Plot to Terrify America (“As long as Sig Sauer and Remington and Winchester are profiting, there can be no gun too lethal, no weapon too powerful, no shooting tragic enough for the NRA to alter course.”)
Blog Headline of the Week
Lawsuit of the Week
- A Canadian woman whose SUV struck and killed a 17-year-old boy on a bicycle in 2012 is suing the boy’s estate for more than $1 million for the “great pain and suffering” and “severe shock to her system” the accident caused her
- At least in the UK, going to libraries frequently is worth $2,284 a year
- A Toronto resident wanted the city’s public libraries to apologize and pay damages for having Dr. Seuss’ Hop on Pop on the shelves because it “encourages children to use violence against their fathers.” That means I’m lucky to be alive given how many times I read it with my kids (our favorite line always was “Sad Dad Bad Had”)
- Politics don’t belong — or do belong — in SF
- The next big thing? Reading on paper
- Bookish Lists: 11 literary gateways to science fiction; 5 great memoirs; the 15 best ancient classics
…loving and being loved back was a hard thing to get right, but when you managed it you could see forever.
Matt Haig, The Humans