Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Pay Attention! (“Happiness is absorption.”)
- The Dangerous Lies We Tell About America’s Founding (“If we get lazy about our historical facts, we risk accepting at face value the interpretation of those facts we’re being fed.”)
Blog Headline of the Week
Legal Defense of the Week
- A Wisconsin man charged with 13 counts of voter fraud, including casting five votes in one election, claims he has temporary amnesia, and doesn’t remember the elections.
- The book that inspired John Lennon’s “Imagine”
- Sadly, World Book Night U.S. is calling it quits due to a lack of funding
- Ereaders killed the book but now ereaders are dead???
- 1908 book put Communism on Mars
- Organizing your books, including “books you haven’t read” subcategories
- The power of old books
- When your favorite author is an asshole
- When a children’s librarian is asked to remove a book from circulation
- By the way, this year’s Banned Books Week (Sept. 21–27) will focus on comics and graphic novels
- Bookish Lists: America’s 10 most unique libraries; patriotic reads; 9 new books destined to become classics; I’ve read neither of winners of this year’s Carnegie Medals; the most enlightening novels about World War I
- What happens when the Amish get rich?
- How do sex researchers do their work?
- The love of listening to music improves your mental status — throughout your entire life
- World War I wasn’t the first world war
- The psychedelic Sun
Fate … is what happens to us; destiny is what we do with it.
Andrew D. Kaufman, Give War and Peace a Chance