Blog Headline of the Week
Worthwhile Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- How our brains learned to read
- Come, Study, Learn, and Leave: Why Our Immigration Policy Fails To Attract And Keep The Best and the Brightest
- I agree that there’s enough bad writing around to justify more than an annual bad sex in fiction award.
- And are there too many memoirs?
- They also lead others to contend that “literate people should boycott books.” (Via.)
- The NYT releases its 100 Notable Books of the Year. I’ve read five of the fiction selections and two of the nonfiction.
- Amazon lists the 11 books that appear on its top 100 list as well as on the NYT and PW lists and I’ve read two.
- Ouch! Even I didn’t think about buying it but Amazon puts Bob Dylan’s Christmas CD in the top 10 of the year’s best comedy albums.
- The Big Picture takes us to Afghanistan and Eid al-Adha and the Hajj.
- The 500 worst passwords of all time. (Via.)
- The Science Channel is starting a new series Dec. 1 called Sci-Fi Science: Physics of the Impossible. The show, named for the book by physicist Michio Kaku, will be hosted by him. Each episode will explore a single topic from science fiction and whether it might be plausible. (Via.)
I think I’m still me
But how would you know?
“Light,” Phish, Joy