- Construction began yesterday and the official groundbreaking is Monday for the new Prairie West branch library about a mile from my house.
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- The Amazon Effect (“Consider the millions who are buying those modern Aladdin’s lamps called e-readers. These magical devices, ever more beautiful and nimble in design, have only to be lightly rubbed for the genie of literature to be summoned. Appetite for these idols, especially among the young, is insatiable.”)
- War and Peace gets “Nookd”
- What do the adjectives describing a debut novel really mean? (via)
- The literary canon moves from Classics Illustrated to The Graphic Canon.
- Ten great SF novels for people who don’t read SF. (I’ve read all but two.)
- Who knew? Paul Krugman is a lifelong SF fan.
- There is no state in which a minimum wage job provides enough income to pay the fair market rent for a two bedroom apartment. South Dakota is one of the least expensive ones but you still must work 64 hours a week to earn the rent. (via).
- The finalists for the Wackiest Warning Labels Contest have been announced. (via)
- The Jenny McCarthy Body Count (via)
Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.
Anne Herbert, The Next Whole Earth Catalog