- There’s a new addition to the Curmudgeon’s Gallery
Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Please Be Disturbed: Triggering Can Be Good for You, Kids (“Brutalities cry for attention. Attention to the appalling causes disturbance. Deal with it. You’re at school to be disturbed. Universities are very much in the business of trying to get you to rethink why you believe what you believe and whether you have grounds for believing it.”)
Blog Headlines of the Week
- The BBC says 1925 was literature’s greatest year
- Bookish Lists: 10 book charities for kids; 5 great books set in Iowa; longlist for the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize; finalists for the PEN/Faulkner Award
- Is a fraternity’s racist song constitutionally protected speech? Or not?
- Conspiracy theories: a case of “intellectual vices“?
…we have made enormous progress in teaching everyone that racism is bad. Where we seem to have dropped the ball is in teaching people what racism actually is, which allows people to say incredibly racist things while insisting they would never.
Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, April 28, 2014