Interesting Reading in the Interweb Tubes
- Binge Reading Disorder (“When you encounter so many sentences a day, even if they are well constructed, intelligent, and seemingly memorable, how do you actually remember one intelligent thought when a thousand others are clamoring for your attention?”)
- What Does Gun Violence Really Cost? (“Even before accounting for the more intangible costs of the violence, … the average cost to taxpayers for a single gun homicide in America is nearly $400,000. And we pay for 32 of them every single day.”)
- Inside the Kremlin’s hall of mirrors (“These wars of the future would be fought not on the battlefield but in the minds of men.”)
Innovative Legal Defense of the Week
- My client isn’t a terrorist, he just said he was to seduce women
Lawsuit of the Week
- Callifornia lawsuit claims it’s unconstitutional to outlaw prostitution because “consensual, private sexual activity (even for compensation) is a fundamental liberty interest.”
- A good summary of why we should read more translated books
- Reading racist literature
- Puppies at center of the latest to-do over the Hugo Awards
- Reading with imagination
- $5 million to build a rural, “live-in” library?
- Bookish Lists: the 10 most challenged books last year; 2015 Indies Choice winners; 2015 PEN Literary Awards shortlists; 2015 International IMPAC DUBLIN Literary Award shortlist
- Is “civility” the new code word for censorship in academia?
- Exploring the connection between the immune system and mental illness
- Alliteration aside, post-prison penile plethysmography sounds horrible
- Also in the “sounds horrible” category is exploding head syndrome
- Trumpet players who defined jazz
Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.